Monday, September 6, 2010

The Personal Story Bit's

I agree with Steve’s, (http://kiwimadepreaching.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/steve-taylor-stories-can-be-sermons-best-friend/) points about how we have to “craft” and understand the process of what we share and what is not helpful in sharing personal stories in our preaching.

As New Zealander’s we try to be humble, not to off load onto others when we tell our stories. People do however want to hear authentic stories concerning you as a real person. As the deliverer of the story we must consider the timing and audience to share those stories. What is the benefit to the audience and the implications for me?

I actually found this out the first time I was asked to speak publicly to a group. I quickly learnt what was allowed to be shared and what was not. With lots of help from critical friends which are invaluable. It was really, really frustrating not being able to directly address a topic and having to find another way around it.

One of the first people I remember as teenager telling a personal story was Murray Robertson from Spreydon Baptist in Christchurch. What I remember most is that the stories always had a resolution or something to reflect on.

One way to learn about the process is to look for people who tell great stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment